Last week in Atlanta at the American Farm Bureau Federation’s 2022 Convention, both the FBI and the Animal Agriculture Alliance highlighted the threat posed to businesses from catfishing. When institutions like those give a simultaneous warning, pay attention. Sure enough, two days later, Lisa Yang sent me a LinkedIn request. A google reverse image search shows that “her” picture must work.
A few things to keep in mind:
- If it sounds too good to be true, it is
- Romantic inquiries and press/reporter outreach are being used by threat actors to gain inside information/access on employees
- The FBI put out an educational (and entertaining) short movie called the Nevernight Connection to alert companies of these types of threats
- Reverse image search on Google for the profile picture
- AI social engineered deepfakes are coming
- Catfishing catfishers recently happened